Saturday, October 16, 2010

Ginger Ice Cream


It has been a while since I last made ice cream. We are in the middle of Spring now and it is still all very wintery in Adelaide...This simple ginger ice cream recipe, gingerly adapted from Helen@Tartelette will warm you up a bit. It is a great ice cream, very easy to make and a good alternative if you are getting bored with vanilla ice cream.... I halved the recipe and made 5 scoops, enough to last myself and top top off a couple of desserts, obviously with dark chocolate brownies and also the Italian Plum CoffeeCake with Sour-Cream-Cheese Topping.

I cut down the sugar a fair bit since I always like topping it on desserts and do not like the overall thing to be too sweet. Using a microplane will give you fine grates of ginger. Make sure you squeeze every last bit of the ginger goodness out of the steeped milk-cream mixture as the flavour tend to mellow out a little after being churned and being served frozen. It could be a me thing because I love everything ginger-y. Just try it...

I am submitting this recipe to Project 52 Ice Cream Mondays, hosted by Swee San.

Ginger Ice Cream
(makes 5 scoops)

1 cup cream
1/2 cup milk
5 tbsp castor sugar (Original one used 8 tbsp)
1 heaping tablespoon of freshly and finely grated ginger

In a large saucepan, pour in the milk, cream and add the sugar. With a microplane grater, zest ginger into the pot directly, really as much or as little as you like. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium low heat, whisking occasionally to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and let it steep as it cools down to room temperature. Refrigerate it, preferably overnight and strain it, pressing out all the ginger goodness out of the pulp. Churn the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Done!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

  1. You are such a great ice cream maker! You could make so many different variety of ice cream! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice ice cream recipe, we are going into winter here in Canada, but ice cream is always a great treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I said like "eew how would this ice cream taste?" But, when I tried the recipe... Its like I told myself how come it tasted this good? Loools... Thanks for sharing this creative idea.

    ReplyDelete