Friday, September 24, 2010

Strawberries and Goat's Cheese Ice Cream with Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar Reduction


When I first made this, I was contemplating on how it would taste like. I sometimes have very weird palate for ice creams...But I am totally digging the flavours and I figured I should post this, just in case some of you might like what I enjoy eating...Goat's cheese taste so good with strawberries and vanilla, can you please believe me? After making the goat's cheese custard base, I drizzle a little of it over semi-dried tomatoes and I love it! If you do not want to use strawberries, try roasted tomatoes, I kid you not. It is A-W-E-S-O-M-E! Just make sure you use your favourite goat's cheese that you really enjoy eating, the flavour does come across strongly in the ice cream so make sure you use the mildest, good quality stuff!

We all know how strawberries and balsamic vinegar are best friends but have any of you all tried dark chocolate balsamic vinegar and drizzle that on strawberries? I was in David Jones one day and happen to chance upon a bottle of Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar. I have not seen anything like that and bought a bottle home and I am absolutely loving it in place of chocolate sauce, drizzled over almost anything! I am not sure where you can get this but if you desperately want this, buying online is not too hard, here.

While I was plating up the ice cream (I know, how can anyone actually plate ice cream??), I saw some peaches sitting in the fridge. Peaches and cream are best friend so I've incorporated them in here as well. I then quickly make a peach coulis, plain as it is sweetened with a dash of icing sugar, no other flavouring. The peaches were really sweet and peaches and strawberries are amazing together...Seriously, you all have to make this ice cream...enough said.

I am submitting this recipe to Project 52 Ice Cream Mondays, hosted by Swee San.

Strawberries and Goat's Cheese Ice Cream with Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
(makes approximately 4 cups of ice cream)

Macerated Vanilla-Strawberries
One punnet scant of strawberries (150g-200g)
3 tbsp castor sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste

Wash, pat dry and hull strawberries, making sure you reserve some for garnishing later on. Dice the remaining and place them in a bowl. Toss in the sugar and vanilla paste and stir to coat and mix well. Let it sit in the fridge until needed, stirring once in a while.

Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
1/2 cup dark chocolate balsamic vinegar

Place the dark chocolate balsamic vinegar in a nonreactive pot and heat it until reduced and syrupy on medium low heat for 10-15 minutes, watching as you are doing it as it might burnt. Cool and set aside.

Goat's Cheese Ice Cream Base
125g goat's cheese, crumbled
3 egg yolks
6 tbsp castor sugar
1 cup milk (I use 2% stuff)
2/3 cup cream (I use light cream), softly whipped and chilled in fridge

Make sure you use one of the mildest tasting goat's cheese and one that you enjoy eating because the flavour does come across strongly. Scald the milk in a small pot. While that is happening, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until pale and thick. Ladle 1/4 cup of the milk into the egg mixture, whisking vigorously, mixing to combine as you go. Repeat until finished and pour the whole lot back into the pot. Starting with medium-high heat, whisk the custard so it thickens. Whisk nonstop and when it is slightly thicken, turn the heat to medium-low and continue thickening further. Remove from heat and strain to catch any scrambled egg bits that might have curdled at the bottom of the pot. Stir in the goat's cheese and stir until it is all melted. Chill that until very very cold.

Combine the macerated strawberries, the goat's cheese base and the softly whipped cream together and either churn or chill overnight in an air-tight container in the fridge for flavours to mingle. Serve drizzled with dark chocolate balsamic vinegar reduction, more strawberries, peach coulis and a quenelle of vanilla whipped cream to pull everything together.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

  1. WOW! You really can make different kind of ice cream and you make it so presentable! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. Sounds like a great combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When reading the title of your recipe, I was wondering about the final flavors but it looks so great and I'm sure that finally it was delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looked so good actually... :) I would say this recipe is a must try! :)

    ReplyDelete