Friday, April 2, 2010

Very Strawberry Ice Cream


Unlike the Nigella's Strawberry Ice cream that I have made before, this one is creamy but not as creamy as Lawson's one but the difference is, this one packs a punch, makes little but use double the strawberry amount of that. And I'm glad to say after making ice cream so many times, I can come up with a recipe of my own and it is still very yummy. They're not sweet, totally meant for Aaron. I've also tried using roasted strawberries before and they tasted heavenly. There is a nice roasted flavour in the ice cream, not too subtle and the flavour deepens with time.


If you happen to go to supermarket, pick up a punnet of strawberries for this, they will not let you down. You'll know it's worth it.

Recipe time:

Buy a punnet of strawberries (it's usually 250g), wash them and reserve a few beautiful ones for garnish. Hull the rest and roughly chop them up a bit. Macerate them with 2 tbsp of vanilla castor sugar. Maceration allows it to release its natural juice, you musn't skip this step. It makes a lot of difference rather than just mixing everything and blending them together.

Pour 1 cup of half-and-half in a small milk pot and bring it to a simmer. You wanna scald it, not boil it. As soon as you see steam profusely appearing on the surface of the half-and-half, remove it from the heat.

While that is happening, whisk together 2 to 3 yolks with 5 tbsp of sugar and 1/4 tsp of vanilla bean paste. I like vanilla bean paste, they are a good buy and a good addition in anything. You can omit it if you like but I'd rather not. Whisk until pale and the sugar is dissolved. I always use vanilla castor sugar. They dissolve faster and are very aromatic.


Temper the yolk mixture with the half-and-half. Did I mention, you can substitute this with one part of thickened cream to one part of milk. You don't get half-and-half easily in some places. You can also try substituting thickened cream with buttermilk or creme fraiche. They totally taste wonderful too but Aaron doesn't like fancy stuffs, so milk and cream will do.

Once tempered, pour the combined mixture back into the milk pot and whisk it nonstop over medium heat until it thickens. This happen at a blink of an eye so watch out. Use lower heat towards the end and cook until it can coat the back of your wooden spoon. That is when you draw a line across it like this, the line remains. Now, is this idiot proof enough???

Cool the custard down by whisking it over an ice bath. Chill it further in the fridge until it is completely cold. Puree the macerated berries, as fine or as rough as you like. I like mine fine. Throw in 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice. Combine all that with the chilled custard and churn them in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.


I like serving them with white chocolate love letters. Garnish with remaining reserved strawberries and a dollop of sweetened whipped cream, because you're worth it.

Now, indulge!

P/S: You can see the step-by-step here, real similar but different recipe.

And before I sign off, here is an award that have been given to me by Petite Nyonya of Nyonya Pendek Melaka. Thank you so much for thinking I am worth it and PerfectScoops is so flattered and seriously touched. And as always, I can be very disappointing sometimes, I do know if you read here, here or here. Petite Nyonya, I think I'll make this a leaf node in the tags spanning across the blogosphere. In a quick 5 mins Google, it looks like most bloggers that I have known and those that I have not already known have already been tagged, and I'm not going to spread the contagion outside the organization further :)

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous ice cream. I can't wait for summer to be here to indulge in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary and thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Quinn,

    Your strawberry ice cream looks simply irresistible ! Yums :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joanna and thanks for dropping by. You really like strawberries eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quinn! I know you're totally the ice cream expert but I just made my first batch of real ice cream and I'm so excited I wanted to share the news! Haha. Strawberry creme fraiche ice creams with looootsa strawberry. And I didn't use an ice cream maker!
    * I miss the Baking Quinn updates by the way!

    ReplyDelete