Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Chestnut Ice Cream

I found a can of chesnut puree from my local supermarket and it is really rare sight because you could hardly get it anywhere else unless you buy them online or buy them in selected deli store. I've decided to make a chesnut ice cream out of it. From where I come from, chestnut are roasted in coffee beans and served as it is. I wish I could get roasted chestnut puree to add a deep flavour into the ice cream but bummer, this would have to do while I try finding whole chestnuts myself to roast and puree.

The ice cream is made with a whole egg as base custard and is nto too rich but very creamy. You could thin it down with milk if it is too thick for your liking. The sugar content could be up by a tablespoon or two because the ice cream is not sweet at all, allowing the strong chestnut flavour to come through. You could also choose to infuse vanilla bean into it or just simply add a teaspoon of vanilla bean paste upon churning the ice cream. I really wanted the chestnut flavour to be prominent and have thus omitted the vanilla and chocolates. I serve it lightly dusted with dutch cocoa powder and love it!


Chestnut Ice Cream

1 cup double cream (normal single heavy cream is fine)
3/4 cup milk
4 tbsp castor sugar
1 whole egg, beaten
3/4 cup chestnut puree

In a smallish saucepan, heat the cream, milk and sugar in a sauce pan until it almost boils. Remove it from heat and temper it with the egg mixture, slowly dribbling in the cream mixture into the beaten egg while whisking vigorously. Return the homogeneous mixture back into the saucepan and back on he stove on lowest heat. Cook it until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon.

When thickened, remove from the stove top and add in the chestnut puree. I am a little paranoid, they look a little grainy so I blitz them with my stick blender and strain them once more to make sure all I get is a perfectly smooth velvety chestnut custard.

Chill them overnight and churn in your ice cream maker accordingly. Serve dusted with cocoa or poured with chocolate fudge sauce.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Something new to me! I've not eat chestnut ice cream before! That's really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting ice cream idea, I have never seen chestnut puree, will have to see what I can find.

    ReplyDelete