Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia

If you Google up 'Cherry Garcia Recipe', the first page that pop up are all Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia recipe. Named after Grateful Dead guitarist, Jerry Garcia, Cherry Garcia is just ice cream with cherries and chocolate flakes in it .

I first found out about Cherry Garcia from Ellie of Almost Bourdain. In fact, I've not even heard of Ben & Jerry's until she mentioned it. I don't know about you, but I don't think we have it here in Australia. Maybe in tubs from supermarkets but I've never bother to glance through any ever since I got myself an ice cream maker and have the luxury of controlling what goes into my churned cream.

This ice cream is incredibly easy and delicious. If you're paranoid about raw eggs, you could perhaps omit it and make it Philadelphia style. If you use fresh eggs, these doesn't even need to be cooked over stove even once. All in all, I spent 30mins including churning time and these are ready to serve, if you like soft and pliable. Else, you need to freeze it for at least 3 hours for it to be scoopable.

I like these. They are so good tasting. I use Hershey's Dark Chocolate Chips and pulse it in the food processor until almost fine flakes. I still like some bites in my ice cream. And I definitely cut my cherries up small. I quartered them nicely and slowly. They were so ripe and juicy.

Maybe it's just me but I find the 1/4 cup of chocolate flakes and 1/4 cup of chopped, pitted cherries to be insufficient for me. I think I definitely added in another 2 tbsp or so of chopped cherries, I stick to the chocolate flakes amount since I couldn't be bothered to pulse another 2 tbsp of chocolate chips.

So, be generous if you want cherry bits in every mouthful of your ice cream. I enjoy serving this with more fresh cherries alongside. Since, the one in the ice cream is frozen, I couldn't really taste it.

The recipe below is adapted from Almost Bourdain though you can find this recipe easily with Google and Internet. I like how quirky the quotes that she quoted from the book are. They are so witty and funny. Thanks Ellie for sharing this and made Ben & Jerry known to me! Gotta agree these are pretty good stuffs yeah!

Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia Ice Cream Recipe
(Makes grateful 1 quart)

Ben & Jerry - "A couple of Dead Heads in Maine sent us a postcard with a name for a new flavor. They left the recipe up to us. We got to work with some fresh bing cherries and threw in the chocolate flakes as a last minute inspiration. At last report, both Jerry Garcia and his wife Carolyn are crazy about it."


1/4 cup heaped dark Hershey's chocolate chips, pulsed in food processor until almost flaky
1/4 cup heaped fresh cherries, pitted and diced smallish (Don't use canned stuffs, those are no good)
2 large fresh eggs
3/4 cup vanilla castor sugar
2 cups cold whipping cream
1 cup cold whole milk


Place the shaved chocolate flakes and the cherries in separate bowls. Cover and refrigerate. Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy with an electric mixer for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended and foamy, mine almost doubled in volume. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend well. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions. Add the chocolate and cherries in the final minute of churning. Churn until done and freeze until ready to serve.

Extra tip, when I was scooping the ice cream into the sugar cone to take a photo, I let it stand on an egg cup holder in the freezer to hold it while I fiddle with my camera setting. Might or might nor help, just in case some of you don't already know.


Cheers!



Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments:

  1. Yes! I saw this on Ellie's! Too bad, fresh cherries are too expensive here! I saw some at Cold Storage. My heart ached just by staring at the price tag. (Imported from Oz ones.)

    I may try it out with canned ones ... But, I bet nothing beats the fresh ones! You've reminded me so much of the super juicy & sweet cherries I had in the States. =S

    Pei-Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. chocolate flakes! why didn't I think of that? genius! I must try that. in all the years of making ice cream you would have thought I would have thought of that! duh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find homemade ice cream is the best because you could make any kind of flavour you like which might not be sold from the market. Thanks for sharing this nice recipe. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pei Lin: You really don't need a lot of cherries. I use in total less than 10 only. But I like more fresh cherries eaten along side the ice cream. Makes it more cherrier! Try buying just a little? Hell yeah, nothng beats fresh ones. Now, you reminds me of the time when I was in Tasmania cherry picking, that was a hell lot of fun! 9bucks, eat and pick till you bloat!

    Dawn: Yes, chocolate flakes....Mmmm....

    Grace: Totally agree with you. I really like brown bread and butter ice cream. Never see that in the freezer of supermarkets somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. rawr.. I want to make these too.. Cherries are too expensive here to be made into ice creams but but but.. this icecream.. sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your version! The picture with the cherry on top of the ice cream in the cone is so pretty! I am glad you like this recipe. Ben & Jerry has a shop in Manly (Lucky us Sydneysides)! Thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Quinn...after looking and drooling at your homemade ice cream...I want to get a good ice cream maker...hahaha I love ice cream and my Piggies love homemade ones ! You make me want to own one now :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tracie: Make it then dammit!!! What's with the wait??? Splurge some money or save up enough just for 10 cherries and make half the recipe!!! They're not delicious, they're to die for!!!!

    Ellie: Thank you Ellie! And I adore this recipe. Who would have thought a plain ice cream with whole egg in it would taste so good. The addition of cherries and chocolate flakes is just brilliant!!!

    Elin: Get the ice cream maker!!!! And considering you're in Malaysia, you have all the right reasons to pull it out and churn anytime of the year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it shows that it is summeer time over there because here in Paris we do not want ice creams it is too cold !! cheers from a french foodie PIerre

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking at your ice cream made me really miss the days I was in California! Ben & Jerry ice cream cheap, fresh cherries...cheap...oh well. Your ice cream is making me drool! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pierre: Thanks! Yes it is hot now, everyone wants ice cream!

    HBS: Make some for your kids, no need to go Ben & Jerry then! I'm sure the kids will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is delicious.I would lick my screen now if I could.I saw your site from the foodieblogroll and hope you could add this Foodista widget here so Foodista readers can find this delicious post.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hola! me gusta mucho tus recetas. Yo tengo la kitchen aid para hacer helados y me vienen perfectas tus recetas.
    saludos
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete