Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Philadelphia Style Ice Cream (Eggless)


Here is the Philadelphia style ice cream as promised. This is the base to a lot of good flavoured ice cream such as chocolate chips and chocolate mint and Hokey Pokey. I manage to churn some of these plain old-fashioned ones to pair with my Flourless Chocolate Cake.

I've made this so many times and 9 out of 10 times they are fine (well maybe not 10 but definitely a lot of times!) however the only time when I wanna take a picture of them, they are grainy. You really gotta stand there and be patient and whisk the sugar until they all dissolved, can't skip that! Note: they look really rainy but taste exceptionally smooth!!!! I don't know why and don't know what's the problem. You can't see the graininess when they are frozen and scooped into rounds. No pictures sorry. I'll try get some shots next time!

From my previous post of Hokey Pokey, I have described them to be light tasting, perfect as an accompaniment alongside tarts and flourless chocolate cakes. They could be rock hard when freezed since it is purely sugar, cream and sometimes milk. Just thaw it in the fridge like 20minutes before serving and it'll be as good as freshly churned.



Philadelphia Style Ice Cream (Eggless)

There are tonnes of recipe for Philadelphia based ice ream out there but if you have observe close enough, they are proportions rather than recipe. It is always 1 cup of liquid, let it be milk or cream to 1/4 cup of sugar so stick to that and add flavourings; usually vanilla is the case according to liking.

1.5 cups thickened cream (Substitute with milk but no more than half of it.)
6 tbsp castor sugar (I use 1-2 tablespoon less because I am eating this with cakes and tarts)
3/4 tsp vanilla bean paste

Many say it'll be grainy if the sugar is not dissolved properly over the stove but there is really no such need. I always whisk my sugar, cream and vanilla paste together until I feel that the sugars are all dissolved. Just make sure you use superfine or castor sugar. If you are using normal white sugar, pulse them in the food processor for 5 seconds and you'll get superfine sugar. Churn them in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instruction.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

  1. I just made some eggless icecream myself this morning. First time trying it and I think I actually like it better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philadelphia style ice cream? I have no idea what is that cause I have never made ice-creams.. But nomatter what it is this cream would taste fantastic on top of your cake, Quinn! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, yeah eggless ice cream is yummy and light in taste but it is really not light in calories!

    Tracie, thank you and hopefully you have a good year ahead too!

    ReplyDelete