Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Mango and Star Anise Sorbet

On days when I make custard base ice cream frequently, I'm left with a lot of egg whites. I could have make pavlova and macaroons (Never attempted even once!) but I chose to make sorbets instead simply because I like frozen treats and there's no cream or milk involved! I always cut down the sugar a fair bit.


Mangoes are in season now in Australia so I've churned some of these. Star anise adds star quality to luscious mango in this beautifully refreshing sorbet. I serve this with white chocolate wafer instead of honey macadamia wafers as provided with the recipe. Did I say I adapted this from Iced: 180 very cool concoctions?

And did I also mention that this recipe is a disaster? It's more like I cause the disaster, the recipe is fine. I bet you never know you can actually over churn ice creams do you? Didn't you wonder why my sorbet looks like mango ice cream with cream in it rather than a bright orange colour? I over churn it people!

The colour probably comes from the egg white when it's over churned and the air incorporated. It quadrupled its supposed volume and ended up tasting like soft serve mango ice cream with some sort of fake mango essence, where in actual fact, I've used real sweet good quality mangoes!

Oh well, if anyone pointed it out about the colour and texture, just give them a weird stare and point to the sorbet and say 'I meant to do just that!'


Mango and Star Anise Sorbet (Serves 4 to 6)

3/4 cup castor sugar (I use 1/2 cup)
1 1/4 cups water
2 star anise
1 tbsp lemon juice
4 large ripe mangoes, chopped
2 egg whites

Put the sugar, water and star anise in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolved. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 minute. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Stir in the lemon juice. Puree the mango with the egg whites until smooth. Strain the sugar syrup into the mango and process until combined. Strain again to remove fibres from mango.


Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. I chill them overnight first before churning.

Serve with white chocolate wafers and spoons of course!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

  1. My goodness! From the moment I discovered your blog, I knew you're one ice-cream maker!! And, here's another ice-cream post again LOL!! BUT, BUT I didn't know egg whites can be used in anything ice-cream ... Thanks for sharing yea?

    Pei-Lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you know egg whites cane be used to make ice cream! Well, actually I think it's rather common to use egg whites to make sorbets.It makes it a lot smoother in terms of texture. Some people do use whole egss in making ice cream but I still prefer ice cream with egg yolks base!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic, Quinn. Definitely for Malaysia's hot weather. Plus, there are so many mangoes out there now I'd better go grab some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Tracie. Get those real sweet honey mangoes, they'll not be wasted in these sorbets, I assure you!

    ReplyDelete