Thursday, November 26, 2009

Coffee Gelato

I don't know why I always hear people commenting on homemade sorbet or gelato being grainy without the cream masking it. I am always into frozen treats, let it be low fat or dense, heavy type. And at the rate of my consumption of cool concoctions, I think we could do with a low fat mood for the mean time.


This coffee gelato uses only milk and just one yolk. It is not sweet and you could churn this out in less than an hour. I cooked the custard, chill it and churn it all under an hour. Try it some day!

Coffee Gelato (Pretty low fat)
Adapted from DailyDelicious

1 egg yolk
3 tbsp castor sugar
1 cup skinny milk
1 tsp good quality instant coffee powder

Scald the milk until nearing to boil. Add in the coffee powder and whisk into submission. Turn off heat and keep warm.

Whisk the egg yolk and sugar together until sugar dissolved and mixture is pale, doubled in volume and fluffy looking with ribbony trails. Temper in the coffee milk mixture and return it back to the stove to thicken just a while. It won't thicken much since there's really not much yolk and no cream in there. We just wanna make sure the yolk is thoroughly warmed through and cooked.

A couple of minutes later, transfer them to a large bowl and whisk nonstop over ice bath until it reaches room temperature. You can pop it straight into the fridge too at this point of you don't wanns bring down the temperature. Chill well and churn in an ice cream maker until tripled in volume.

Scoop all out into a freezer safe container and serve straight. I like mine scoopable. Chill for 30mins and serve straight in tiny little shot glasses.

Done! Your homemade creamy and smooth coffee gelato, minus the guilt and cream!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

  1. Yummy! I love anything coffee. Frozen even better. Might be nice too with maple syrup as a sweetener?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so going to try your ice cream recipes once I've settled down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marla: Yeah I love frozen stuffs too and lately, been picking up coffee habit from my spouse so this is really great for upcoming summer! I like this low fat, I'm adding more calories to my thighs everyday, the side effect of having 3 separate kitchen journals! I would reckon maple syrup would be alright. I like maple syrup but with coffee....sounds new!

    Petite Nyonya: Please update your blog so I know when you are settled down and get the gears back up running in kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Quinn

    thank you for trying my soto recipe and leaving a comment on my blog at SaltnTurmeric. My name is Farina btw. ;)

    Oh my! Your blog is all about homemade ice cream! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Farina,

    Thanks for dropping by my blog and hehe, no, my life is not all about frozen treats though I love them a lot. Here's a link to your soto ayam:

    http://cookingquinn.blogspot.com/2009/11/soto-ayam.html

    I did link you back but not sure why it isn't appearing in your blog.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete