Saturday, August 8, 2009

Strawberry Sorbet

It might not look appetizing but it is very refreshing, lemony and very strawberry according to my housemates. I know it is winter now but I couldn't stop myself from pulling out the ice cream maker and churn these. Strawberries are everywhere now and I can't help but buy punnets of these little red babies.

I've enclosed Tessa's recipe here but I made this by looking at it once and do it by what I feel is right in a sorbet. A splash of water here, a dash of milk there and I used up whatever strawberries I had in hand. I don't remember putting in that much sugar because my strawberries was rather sweet so here goes the recipe if you're a newbie in making sorbets.


Strawberry Sorbet (Adapted from Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros)

5oog fresh strawberries, hulled
About 180g sugar
Juice of half a lemon
One longish strip of lemon peel with no pith
1/4 cup of milk


Puree the strawberries in a blender or a processor until they are completely smooth, then tip them into a medium-sized bowl that has a lid.

Put the sugar, lemon juice and lemon peel in a pan with 375ml (1 1/2 cups) of cold water. Bring to the boil and cook, stirring for just long enough to dissolve the sugar. Remove from teh heat and leave to cool for 10 mins or so.

Fish out the lemon peel and pour the syrup into the strawberry puree. Add the milk and mix well, then put the lid on and out in the fridge until completely cooled. Now put the bowl in the freezer. After an hour give the mixture an energetic whisk with a hand whisk or electric mixer. Put it back in the freezer and whisk again after another couple of hours. When the ice cream is nearly firm, give one last whisk and put it back in the freezer to set.

Alternatively, pour into your ice cream machine and churn, following the manufacturer's instructions. If you do use this, you'll get a particularly smooth sorbet with no icy granules. This is best served with a small dollop of fresh cream or totally alone.


Serves 5-6

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment